Public Comment Procedure at MATES Board of Directors’ meetings –
What you need to know!
Did you know that ANYONE is welcome to attend and participate in open session meetings of the MATES Board of Directors?
If you’re thinking of attending a future meeting and addressing the board in public comment, here’s what you need to know –
- You’ll need to complete a “Request to Speak” form prior to the start of the meeting and give this to the Board Secretary.
- You may address the Board concerning an item on the agenda or a non-agenda item.
- All comments should be communicated to the Board in a respectful and non-adversarial manner.
- Remember our MATES Core Values - have the HEART of an Eagle!
- For agenda items –
- There is a 5-minute time allocation per speaker, with a maximum of 30 minutes devoted to public comment (multiple speakers).
- The Board will hear your comment prior to formal discussion of the item and consideration of action. Once the Board begins discussion, no additional public comment on this item will be heard.
- For non-agenda items –
- There is a 3-minute time allocation per speaker, with a maximum of 15 minutes devoted to public comment (multiple speakers).
- Board members may listen to your concern but may not comment or take action on any public comment that is not part of the published agenda.
- Regarding complaints against school personnel – refer to your MATES Parent Handbook, the Grievance and Dispute Policy and Uniform Complaint Policy.
- If you want to learn more, check out the MATES Board Meeting, Agenda and Meeting Material Policy.
Thank you for your interest and involvement in our school!